St. George’s Uniting Presbyterian Church

The history of our congregation is a very interesting one in that three congregations were started from the same work in the Durban south area. The history of these congregations began when a group of Christians began meeting in Brighton Road on the Bluff in 1922/23. They called their local fellowship St. Bernard’s (eventually becoming Brighton Road Baptist Church). In 1926, the congregation began another congregation in the Fynnland area of the Bluff in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Read. This congregation then moved onto another site known as the Gladys Mt. Hall which was little more than a shack made of wood and iron that attached to the Sea Scout Hall of the area. Mr. J. Louden was elected as the first elder of this congregation in 1937. This part of the church became a constituted congregation in July 1939. A building was erected on land donated by a City Council member by the name of Mr. Stott. It was this congregation that became known as St. George’s Presbyterian Church.

In 1944, nearing the end of the Second War, St. George’s established another congregation in Nirvana Road which eventually became known as St. Margaret’s Presbyterian Church, apart from St. Bernard’s. The three congregations were known as the Bluff Presbyterian Church and were served by only one minister and many Lay Preachers for a long time.

After the end of the Second War, the Rev. E.S. Eadie, upon being released from the army came to the Bluff and served these congregations from 1946-1951. After him, the Rev. David Phillip served these congregations from 1951-1963. The building that St.George’s occupies at present was completed during the ministry of the Rev. Alfred McRobert who served the congregation from 1963-1969.

 A new chapter for the Presbyterian on the Bluff began when the Rev. Emlyn Jones came to the Bluff in April of 1969 with the task of separating the congregations into three separate congregations. This he managed to do but only 2 congregations were constituted after this exercise – St. George’s and St. Margaret’s.